For contest submissions, go to the bottom of this page.
For 47 years, EVENT has published the very best in contemporary new poetry and prose. We are one of Western Canada’s longest-running literary magazines, and welcome submissions written in English from around the world. Each issue of EVENT includes high quality fiction, poetry, non-fiction and book reviews, and we feature emerging and established writers side-by-side in our pages. Visit www.eventmagazine.ca
WE HAVE TWO OPEN SUBMISSION PERIODS ONLY FOR FICTION AND POETRY: AUGUST 1 - SEPTEMBER 31 and DECEMBER 1 - JANUARY 31.
What We’re Looking For
Fiction: Whether you’ve never published before, or you’ve published seven novels, we’re looking for the same thing: compelling characters, plots that surprise us, narratives that move us, stories that have something new to say.
Poetry: We love poems that are lyrical without being overwrought, and are profound without being pretentious. We look for honesty of emotion, and images that arrest us.
Non-Fiction: The creative non-fiction we publish mainly comes through our annual Non-Fiction Contest due to limited page space. We are looking for real-life experiences told as riveting narratives with distinct voices. We publish essays that feel artful and true. Currently we are not accepting general submissions of non-fiction.
Your best bet at getting your work published in EVENT is by reading some of our issues. Find the current issue at Chapters, libraries or local newsstands; subscriptions and single issues in print or digital format can also be purchased online or through our office.
- We will consider only ONE submission at a time. Once you have received a response from us, you are free to submit another piece of writing.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine, but please advise us immediately should a piece under consideration be accepted elsewhere.
- We review every manuscript we receive. During high volume periods, responses may take up to six months.
- Please review our Editorial Policy for rights, payment policies and additional details.
- See the individual categories below for more specific details about submitting.
Reading Service for Writers
If your manuscript needs another eye, try EVENT’s Reading Service for Writers. Manuscripts will be edited by one of EVENT’s experienced editors and receive an assessment of 700-1000 words detailing strengths and weaknesses, and providing recommendations for revision. All manuscripts submitted will also be considered for publication.
EVENT Magazine introduces our smashing new contest for writers who like to experiment.
Are you tired of magazines telling you they just don't print science fiction? Are you worried your poem has too many goblins to be eligible for such-and-such contest? Fret no more, because here is a contest where the only limit (other than the word limit) is your wicked imagination. Here's your chance to write work featuring time travel, alchemy, super powers, ghosts, dystopian societies, teleportation, robots with human emotions, humans with robot emotions, talking dogs, talking dolls, mutants, cruel wizards, very old men with enormous wings...
Genre: Any! Fiction, poetry, creative non-fiction, and anything in between is welcome. We just ask that you keep your piece under 1,800 words.
Judge: Emily Pohl-Weary
Prize: $1000 grand prize! Second prize will receive $150. Both winning entries will be published in an upcoming issue of EVENT. All entries will be considered for publication.
Cost: $32.95 per entry; includes a one-year subscription to EVENT and all applicable taxes and shipping—a great deal!
Deadline: January 20, 2019 (via Submittable only)
Full Contest Rules:
- 1,800 word limit on entries.
- Entries must not have been previously published, either in print or online, been accepted for publication elsewhere.
- No simultaneous submissions.
- Do not identify yourself on the entry
- Multiple entries are allowed; however, each entry must be accompanied by its own $32.95 entry fee.
- If already subscribed to EVENT, you will receive a one-year extension.
- If entrants wish feedback and commentary on manuscripts, please check out our Reading Service for Writers.
- Preliminary judging is done by the Editor and editorial assistants at EVENT.
- Douglas College students, employees and their immediate family members are not eligible to enter. Douglas College students may enter two years after completing courses.
- Entries must be submitted online by January 20, 2019.
- Contest results will be posted on our website and through social media in April. The winning entries will appear in the Fall 2019 issue of EVENT.
- For more information, contact us at email@example.com or 604-527-5293.
- Don’t forget to put the title of your piece at the top of the first page.
- Manuscripts should be double-spaced.
- Pages should be numbered.