For contest submissions, go to the bottom of this page.
For 50 years, EVENT has published the very best in contemporary new poetry and prose. We are one of Western Canada’s longest-running literary magazines, and welcome submissions written in English from around the world. Each issue of EVENT includes high quality fiction, poetry, non-fiction and book reviews, and we feature emerging and established writers side-by-side in our pages. Visit www.eventmagazine.ca
WE GENERALLY HAVE TWO OPEN SUBMISSION PERIODS ONLY FOR FICTION AND POETRY: AUGUST 1 - SEPTEMBER 30 and DECEMBER 1 - JANUARY 31. PLEASE VISIT OUR WEBSITE FOR ANY UPDATES. NOTE: GENERAL FICTION SUBMISSIONS ARE NOW CLOSED. POETRY SUBMISSIONS WILL OPEN FEBRUARY 1, 2023.
What We’re Looking For
Fiction: Whether you’ve never published before, or you’ve published seven novels, we’re looking for the same thing: compelling characters, plots that surprise us, narratives that move us, stories that have something new to say.
Poetry: We love poems that are lyrical without being overwrought, and are profound without being pretentious. We look for honesty of emotion, and images that arrest us.
Non-Fiction: The creative non-fiction we publish mainly comes through our annual Non-Fiction Contest due to limited page space. We are looking for real-life experiences told as riveting narratives with distinct voices. We publish essays that feel artful and true. Currently we are not accepting general submissions of non-fiction.
Your best bet at getting your work published in EVENT is by reading some of our issues. Find the current issue at Chapters, libraries or local newsstands; subscriptions and single issues in print or digital format can also be purchased online or through our office.
- We will consider only ONE submission at a time. Once you have received a response from us, you are free to submit another piece of writing.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine, but please advise us immediately should a piece under consideration be accepted elsewhere.
- We review every manuscript we receive. During high volume periods, responses may take up to six months.
- Please review our Editorial Policy for rights, payment policies and additional details.
- See the individual categories below for more specific details about submitting.
Reading Service for Writers
If your manuscript needs another eye, try EVENT’s Reading Service for Writers. Manuscripts will be edited by one of EVENT’s experienced editors and receive an assessment of 700-1000 words detailing strengths and weaknesses, and providing recommendations for revision. All manuscripts submitted will also be considered for publication.
Submit up to eight poems. Each poem must be saved as its own separate file in a .doc, .docx, .rtf, .txt or .pdf file format. Use standard poetry manuscript formatting (single-spaced, easily read font sizes, page numbers if more than one page long, etc.). All work should be previously unpublished.
When filling out the Cover Letter Field, please include your name, email address, full mailing address, telephone number, the title(s) and word count(s) of your submission(s), and a list of previous publications, if any. You can include a brief biographical note if you wish.
To submit fiction or pieces of non-fiction, please go to our other Submittable categories.
Genre: Writers are encouraged to explore the creative non-fiction form.
Prizes: $3,000 in total prizes, plus publication in EVENT: First Place $1,500; Second Place $1,000; Third Place $500.
Entry Fee: $34.95 per entry; includes a one-year subscription (or renewal) to EVENT and all applicable taxes and shipping.
Deadline: October 15, 2023
- 5,000 word limit on entries.
- Entries must not have been previously published, either in print or online, or accepted for publication elsewhere.
- No simultaneous submissions.
- Do not identify yourself on the entry.
- Multiple entries are allowed; however, each entry must be accompanied by its own CAD $34.95 entry fee.
- If already subscribed to EVENT, you will receive a one-year extension.
- Entries will not be returned.
- If entrants wish feedback and commentary on manuscripts, please check out our Reading Service for Writers.
- Preliminary judging is done by the Editor and editorial assistants at EVENT
- Douglas College students, employees and their immediate family members are not eligible to enter. Douglas College students may enter two years after completing courses.
- Entries must be submitted online (or postmarked) by 11:59 pm PT on October 15.
- For information on how to submit by mail, please visit our website's Contest page.
- Contest results are posted on our website and through social media. The winning entries and judge's essay are published in the Spring/Summer 2024 issue (53/1) of EVENT.
- For more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-527-5293.
- Contest terms are subject to change.