There are presently no open calls for submissions.
What We’re Looking For
Fiction: Whether you’ve never published before, or you’ve published seven novels, we’re looking for the same
thing: compelling characters, plots that surprise us, narratives that move
us, stories that have something new to say.
Poetry: We love poems that are lyrical without being
overwrought, and are profound without being pretentious. We look for
honesty of emotion, and images that arrest us.
Non-Fiction: The creative non-fiction we publish mainly comes through our annual Non-Fiction Contest. We are looking for real-life experiences told as riveting narratives with distinct voices. We publish essays that feel artful and true. We accept general submissions of non-fiction throughout the year, but due to limited page space, it’s quite rare for us to publish a piece that comes to us this way.Your best bet at getting your work published in EVENT is by reading some of our issues. Find the current issue at Chapters, libraries or local newsstands; subscriptions and single issues in print or digital format can also be purchased online or through our office.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine, but please advise us immediately should a piece under consideration be accepted elsewhere.
- We accept prose and poetry submissions year round, but we don’t read during January, July, August or December, so response times during those months may be longer.
- We review every manuscript we receive, most of which are unsolicited. During high volume periods, responses may take up to six months.
- Please review our Editorial Policy for rights, payment policies and additional details.
- See the individual categories below for more specific details about submitting.
Reading Service for Writers
If your manuscript needs another eye, try EVENT’s Reading Service for Writers. Manuscripts will be edited by one of EVENT’s experienced editors and receive an assessment of 700-1000 words detailing strengths and weaknesses, and providing recommendations for revision. All manuscripts submitted will also be considered for publication.